Saturday, December 30, 2017

Paul Gilbert - 2008 "Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar"

Paul Brandon Gilbert (born November 6, 1966 in Illinois, USA) is an American guitarist. He is well known for his technical guitar work with Racer X and Mr. Big, as well as many solo albums and numerous collaborations and guest appearances with other musicians.

Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar is the second full length instrumental album and 8th overall by hard rock guitarist Paul Gilbert.

You never quite know what style of guitar playing is going to greet you when you put on a new Paul Gilbert disc, as he's tackled blues, pop, and acoustic pieces in the past. But on his 2008 release, Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar, Gilbert focuses on what made him such a renowned player among guitar shredders worldwide in the first place, as he totally focuses on his soloing and riffing capabilities (and goes "all instrumental," to boot). It may be 2008, but such tunes as the album-opening title track and "Eudaimonia Overture" could have easily come out in 1988, and probably would have caught the attention of every Guitar for the Practicing Musician subscriber at the time. And there are even a few tranquil moments ("Bronx 1971") and oddities (the piano-led "The Gargoyle") thrown in for good measure. Paul Gilbert remains one of rock guitar's top gymnasts, as evidenced throughout Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar.

Hot on the heels of his successful Get Out Of My Yard CD, Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar is the second all instrumental CD by guitarist Paul Gilbert. This record was recorded after Gilbert wowed guitar lovers on the legendary G3 tour in support of Joe Satriani where Gilbert confirmed to a younger audience what Gilbert fans have known for over 20 years…. that Paul Gilbert is simply one of the greatest guitarists on the planet today.

This is my first Paul Gilbert cd, so I didn't know what to expect before I bought it. Based on the reviews here, I bought it sound unheard. Overall, I am not disappointed. Mr. Gilbert is an incredible technician and a generally superior song writer. If you like Marty Friedman, Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, Eddie Van Halen, Rush, Jeff Beck, Joey Tafolla, George Lynch, even Carlos Santana, you'll like this CD because it has shades of them all. Which makes this a unique CD among instrumental guitar rock/shred albums. Lots of rock musical influences seem to have been put on display here--almost as if Gilbert were paying tribute--and blended in an original, highly skillful way. That feature is also my only real criticism of this CD (tho it's a small one): I am left with an unsure sense of Mr. Gilbert's own melodic style. Or perhaps this ecclectic fushion blending IS his style. Certainly, I've never heard anything like it on any instrumental guitar rock/shred album. This CD definitely makes me want to go out and check out his other stuff!

Another thing about this album: Gilbert's melodic compositional quality is so high that you almost expect these tracks to become guitar solos going with vocal rock songs. Probably the best blend of technical prowess and melodic sensibility that I've ever heard in this genre, with perhaps the exception of Vinnie Moore (neoclassical shred, Mind's Eye), Marty Friedman (Dragon's Kiss) or Eric Johnson (Venus Isle).

I was a little apprehensive when I got this CD even though I knew of Paul from Mr. Big and the Racer X days. I had never really appreciated or listened to any of his work closely.

This CD is simply amazing. Frankly I think this is the best instrumental guitar album I've ever heard. I am a huge Satriani and Vai fan but to be honest they haven't really grabbed me in quite a while.

This CD showcases many different styles of music, and I hear bits of Beck, Vai, Petrucci, Lifeson, Morse.. but don't get me wrong. Paul definitely has his own extremely unique style. I've never really heard an album in this genre that was so diverse, at times shred, funk, blues, jazz, rock, space guitar.

Track listing:

01. "Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar" Paul Gilbert 3:48
02. "Eudaimonia Overture" Gilbert, J.S. Bach 4:35
03. "The Rhino" Gilbert 2:46
04. "Norwegian Cowbell" Gilbert 4:06
05. "I Cannot Tell a Lie" Gilbert 3:50
06. "Bronx 1971" Gilbert 4:04
07. "Suite Modale" Ernest Bloch 2:38
08. "The Gargoyle" Gilbert 4:35
09. "I Still Have That Other Girl" Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach 2:52
10. "Bultaco Saturno" Gilbert 4:13
11. "Paul Vs. Godzilla" Gilbert 4:52

Total length: 42:19

Track 2 ends with a complete performance of Bach's Prelude in G major from the Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1.

Musicians:

Paul Gilbert - Guitar, Producer
Mike Szuter - Bass
Jeff Bowders - Drums
Emi Gilbert - Hammond B3, Piano

6 comments: