Monday, June 19, 2017

Leo Kottke - 1973 [1996] "My Feet Are Smiling"

My Feet Are Smiling is American guitarist Leo Kottke's sixth album, and his second album recorded live. It reached No. 108 on the Billboard Pop Albums charts.

The songs were recorded December 19 and 20, 1972 at the Tyrone Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the majority of the album's content being from the second night. "Blue Dot" was written three days before the concert.
The album was re-issued on CD in 1994 by BGO and in 1996 by One Way Records.

The prodigious technique, deadpan sense of humor, and infamous singing are all evident less than a minute into the opening tune. Performing solo and playing more slide guitar than usual, Kottke wows a supportive hometown audience in Minneapolis with some of the finest playing of his career. That's saying a lot. Sensational one moment and sentimental the next, he presents a varied, well-paced set that's worth adding to your collection if you can find it. The well-traveled "Louise" is only one highlight, although it's Leo's playing that will drop your jaw, not his singing.

Not since the death of THE greatest guitarist of all time, Chet Atkins, has there remained the only truly unique guitar virtuoso, and that's Leo Kottke. Too bad this came out WAYYYYY back in 1972, and it, along with his "Armadillo" CD [Six and Twelve String Guitars], are still my favorite's of his. I saw him live, in Dallas, back in the mid-'80's and he was EXTRAORDINARY, and he played several favorites from this CD. Listen, and see if you don't agree he's the best acoustic guitarist you've heard!

This was one of the first LP vinyl records I bought as a teenager and with the changing audio technologies and my numerous moves across the country over the past 30 years I lost the album. So, I wasn't sure if I would still like it. I was right. I didn't like it. I loved it! This is truly a classic album! There is no better 12 string guitarist than Leo. The songs are better than I remember and his deep voice draws you in to the classic ballads he sings.

I ran across Leo Kottke by accident. I bought a copy of his album Peligroso. It was great. I started buying his albums and they all were great. This one is one of the best and every song is terrific. Leo is one of the premier guitar players in America. He sings in some of his albums and others are instrumentals. He is great either way. I have 5 of his albums now and if any one of the five is better than the others it is this one. But, the worst one is great!

He has other album, all very good and some with no vocals. But, I gotta say Leo that I love your vocals on this one!

He does not disappoint! Truly an album for your collection!

Track Listings

  1. Intro
  2. Hear The Wind Howl
  3. Busted Bicycle
  4. Easter
  5. Louise
  6. Blue Dot
  7. Stealing
  8. Living In The Country
  9. June Bug
  10. Standing In My Shoes
  11. The Fisherman
  12. Bean Time
  13. Eggtooth
  14. Medley: Crow River Waltz/Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring/Jack Fig

Personnel:

Leo Kottke - Guitar, Vocal.

3 comments:

  1. This brings me back. Saw Leo (in the early days) play at the then new Guthrie Theater downtown Mpls. BLEW EVERYONE AWAY! This was the first LP of his I bought. Wow, Thank you c420!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www88.zippyshare.com/v/72Ah0apY/file.html

    https://workupload.com/file/a33R2ptNkVH

    ReplyDelete